New Moon in Sagittarius at 26°31’ on 18 December 2017 at 06:29 Universal Time
Once upon a time, a long, long time ago…or, as one story goes…from across the ends of a great, dark Void, Fire and Ice reached out towards one another…they touched…and the very first being was born (1.)
In the dark void of this New Moon, there’s most certainly Fire and there’s most certainly Ice. What is it that you will create? What is it that you will dream into being, change within yourself, transform around you?
Fire is a vehicle which is known to take us from here to there…it cooks…it transforms…it burns up what needs to be released…it gives warmth…it gives light…It’s not just that this New Moon is in Sagittarius, the fiery herald of change…the Sun and the Moon come together on the Galactic Centre… it’s embraced by three other planets in Sagittarius… as well as, from where I write, Fortuna herself who rises. And that’s not all. This New Moon reaches her arms out to make a fiery triangle of ease with the North Node on the one hand, the direction in which we’re going, and with Uranus on the other… Uranus, who also speaks of the future.
This New Moon sits upon the darkest part (2) of the constellation of the darkest sign (3) which is ruled by Pluto, or Hades, the Icy Ruler of Fiery Realms. Pluto is in Capricorn, paving the way for a new reality…in Capricorn, where all those planets in Sagittarius are already casting their shadows (4)…sharing the shapes of what is still to come.
With Pluto in Capricorn and his past squares to Uranus, we’ve been through a lot. No wonder there has been fear…but the teaching has been deep. Chiron, the Wounded Healer, that gentle and wise soul, is reminding us that the infliction of the Wound is in the past and now there is healing to go.
Mars, Neptune, Jupiter and Chiron…they’re all in signs of water…a place where we hold our breath or we die …and just as we grow in Sagittarius through foreign perspectives, so too, does holding our breath in this foreign place allow us to move from fearing for our survival to experiencing this emotional space as calm and support.
Breath is important in the chart of this New Moon because… unless you count the Midheaven of the place from where I write… which is in Libra, the sign of the Scales, of Balance and of Decisions… there is no Air in this chart. Fire needs Air to survive…it’s always true but it’s a truth that’s being emphasised now…it’s down to you, your choice, what you breathe and the words you speak to bring the potential of this moment into being.
It’s a special moment whose blossoming is worthy of care and of love. This is the New Moon which ushers in Saturn’s change of sign (5) … which ushers in the return of the Spiritual Light in the Northern Hemisphere (6) and the sinking into darkness in the Southern Hemisphere…it’s the New Moon which marks the last of the days of this Mercury’s Retrograde (7)...Mercury who speaks and chooses and decides… and who, on this New Moon, will be parallel, joined vertically, with the Moon… allowing the Creative Mind to drop into the Fertile Space of the New Moon Moment. What is it that you will create?
1) In Norse Mythology, this being was Aurgelmir or Ymir out of whose body the Earth was created.
2) The Sun and the Moon are standing with the Fixed Star Aculeus while, three degrees away, Saturn is standing with the Fixed Star Acumen. Aculeus and Acumen are the twin Stars of Scorpio’s Sting and while, of course, a sting does not sound sweet, it is there for a reason. With Aculeus working alongside the New Moon in Sagittarius, we’re shown how to free ourselves from the influences which try to bind us and, with Acumen working with Saturn, we have the inner vision and the sharpness of mind. The other Fixed Stars in this story bode well…Uranus and Altair blend forward thinking energy with an instinctive wont to try new things and to find new ways... Jupiter with Zuben Elgenubi reassures us that the King of the Gods is working on social reform ...Neptune, the ouroboric Mother, is with Rigel, offering us the opportunity to reunite with the knowledge that was lost when Orion’s foot first slipped beneath the horizon so very long ago.
3 ) Scorpio… P.S. dark does not equal negative…
5) Saturn’s change of signs on 20 December 2017 (at 04:48) is pretty significant, bringing in a new cycle of time. An interpretation in five parts so far can be found on the news page here.
6) The December Solstice is on 21 December 2017 at 16:27, the moment when the Sun steps into Capricorn. More on this may follow.
7) If you’ve not read it before, click here to see why I treasure Mercury’s Retrograde. Mercury will station direct on 23 December 2017 at 01:50.
If you would like to find out more about the shamanic healing, astrology or tarot that I offer face to face in London, England or world-wide over skype, you can find out more here
This article is an interpretation of the symbols and is written for information, if anything here stirs up difficult emotions for you, please do make sure you seek support from friends, family or other professionals as need be.